T3 Webinar Overview
FHWA National Dialogue on Highway Automation: Introductory Webinar
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Time: 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM ET
Cost: All T3 webinars are free of charge
PDH: 1.5 View PDH Policy
T3 Webinars are brought to you by the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Professional Capacity Building Program (PCB) of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (U.S. DOT) ITS Joint Program Office (JPO). References in this webinar to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the U.S. DOT.
Automated vehicles have the potential to significantly transform the nation’s roadways. They offer potential benefits in safety but also introduce uncertainty for the agencies responsible for the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the roadway infrastructure. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is initiating a national conversation with partners and stakeholders to better understand the implications of highway automation, to facilitate innovation, and to enable broader collaboration in this area. This National Dialogue on Highway Automation will commence with a series of meetings held across the country to facilitate information sharing, identify key issues, and prepare the broader transportation community to safely and efficiently integrate automated vehicles into the road network. Input received during the National Dialogue will help inform national research, policy, and programs and will aid in the development of a national transportation community for automation.
This webinar will provide an overview of the upcoming National Dialogue meetings, discuss ongoing and planned national initiatives in automation, and present top highway automation focus areas to be explored through the Dialogue. Speakers will include key FHWA officials in automation and representatives from partner organizations. Participants will also have an opportunity to provide input during the webinar.
- Describe the purpose, goals, focus areas, and schedule of the upcoming series of National Dialogue meetings.
- Hear from partner organizations about their interest in learning from stakeholders on automated vehicles.
- Share input on the focus areas of the National Dialogue meetings.
- Ask questions of U.S. DOT staff and partner organization representatives.
- Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), technology developers, technology suppliers, transportation network companies (TNCs), associations, State and local governments, and other public-sector partners
- People working in policy and planning, digital infrastructure and data, multimodal safety and infrastructure design, operations, and freight related to the use of automated vehicles on the nation’s roadways
Martin Knopp, Associate Administrator for Operations, FHWA Office of Operations
Mr. Knopp will give the welcome and opening remarks.
John Harding, Team Leader, Connected/Automated Vehicles and Emerging Technologies Team, FHWA Office of Operations
Mr Harding will provide an overview of U.S. DOT and FHWA automation activities related to the National Dialogue.
John Corbin, PE, PTOE, Connected Automated Vehicle Program Manager, FHWA Office of Operations
Mr. Corbin will provide an overview of the basics of the National Dialogue, including the purpose and focus areas.
Additional speakers will include representatives from partner organizations including ITS America, the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), and the Transportation Research Board (TRB).