Resources for Students and Instructors
ITS University Workshop #5
November 8-9, 2017 | Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia
About the Workshop
The 5th ITS University Workshop was a two-day collaborative event where educators and practitioners learned what ITS training products are available, worked together to identify ITS educational needs for smart community buildout, and developed strategies to meet those needs.
The workshop was attended by approximately thirty (30) ITS professionals representing educators (university professors), Federal programs, practitioners (from State DOTs, MPOs, and private consultancies), and professional associations (ITSA, ITE, AMPO, NARC, NACo, APTA, APA, NADO, AASHTO) that specialize in ITS and planning research, application, or education. Attendees participated in person or virtually (via web room and teleconference line).
Workshop attendees participated in presentations, break-out sessions, and interactive exercises, designed to foster the exchange of information, ideas, and best practices in university-level ITS education and preparation of students in transportation planning and engineering for today’s workforce needs.
- Define and understand the current—and future—education needs for an entry-level ITS position in the workforce.
- Identify and discuss existing tools from the ITS PCB Program and partners that universities can use to help build the necessary ITS capacity in students.
- Provide professors with a peer to peer opportunity to exchange best practices in ITS education.
- Define unmet educational needs.
- Brainstorm potential solutions from the ITS PCB Program and partners to fill the unmet educational needs.
Day 1 Presentations (November 8)
- ITS JPO Overview (Gay)
PowerPoint (7.4 MB) PDF (1.6 MB) HTML
- ITS Joint Program Office | ITS PCB Course Plan (Lewis)
PowerPoint (898kB) PDF (310kB) HTML
- Driving Future Highways: Welcome to the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (Curtis)
PowerPoint (13.2 MB) PDF (3.0 MB) HTML
- Incorporating ITS into Planning Process (Yan)
PowerPoint (3.6 MB) PDF (997kB) HTML
- Role of Connected and Automated Vehicles in Transportation Planning (Azizi)
PowerPoint (417kB) PDF (468kB) HTML
- NACo’s Perspective on Current Trends in Transportation Planning and Technology (Moran)
PowerPoint (619kB) PDF (121kB) HTML
- NARC Perspective on Transportation Planning and Technology Trends (Wollack)
PowerPoint (580kB) PDF (327kB) HTML
- APTA Presentation (Sundaram)
PowerPoint (1.3 MB) PDF (143kB) HTML
- Transportation Planning Concerns in Rural America (Kissel)
PowerPoint (1.2 MB) PDF (439kB) HTML
- What is CV, AV and CAV and What’s in it for Me? (Vadakpat)
PowerPoint (4.8 MB) PDF (1.1 MB) HTML
- Overview of CTPS (Peterson)
PowerPoint (272kB) PDF (574kB); HTML
- U.S. DOT ITS University Workshop (Hill)
PowerPoint (4.5 MB) PDF (1.5 MB) HTML
- U.S. DOT ITS Education Workshop (Koonce)
PowerPoint (3.4 MB) PDF (2.0 MB) HTML
Day 2 Presentations (November 9)